Despite the heat I am managing to get some sewing done – a couple of UFO’s and a couple of new projects just to add interest. All this being done while dressed in no more than a swimming costume and occasionally a sarong for the sake of decency!
First up is the start of my first stitched mandala piece which has been hanging around in my head since I finished Louise Gale’s Mixed Media Mandala course probably this time last year. I had a piece of curved piecing that I had made from several green batiks to make a frame for a cross stitch and I had the idea of cutting the left over piece with a Kaleidoscope ruler to make the background. This has been done and I’ve applied some net leaf shapes and some off-white that has been cut snowflake/Hawaiian quilting style and fused over the whole. Not sure how I feel about it yet, but am toying with some ideas for the next steps which will involve, I hope, hand and machine embroidery, beads etc. Here it is for the moment in all its nakedness. At least it’s a start, and that’s the hardest part so let’s see what develops…
I have also found the pieces of the half-done quilt that I want to finish for my neighbour’s baby due now at the end of August, made a few more blocks and pieced the top. I have also found some black and white fabrics that I don’t think I will ever use on a quilt top, so these will be pieced and used for the back of the quilt. Now I have to think about how to quilt it:
This project was from the Christine Porter workshop that we had in September 2013, so a fairly recent UFO which will now be finished. Yippee! Christine is a UK -based quilter who is more than happy to travel to teach. She came to us in Spain and did 2 days of workshops and we had a great time with her. Once this one is quilted I will have finished both of the projects that I started with her. Look her up on her website http://www.quiltingtheworld.com/
When I was rooting through the UFO basket I also came across this:
It is a bit of hand quilting I did as a demonstration. It got completed and then put to one side. I need a cushion for my sun lounger outside, so thought this would be a good candidate for the job. It only needs a back, binding and a cushion pad, so hopefully I can get that done fairly quickly.
One of my newly-started projects is the Mystery Quilt Along from Kaaren Johnston of The Painted Quilt (http://thepaintedquilt.blogspot.com.es/) – she is doing a little house quilt to use up scraps – as I have scraps which I am sure must breed in that basket of theirs, I couldn’t resist! Such an easy and cute little block, here’s the first one:
And last, but not least, I now feel the rose is finished. I wanted to add some more hand embroidery but the more I looked at it, the less I felt it needed it, so, apart from backing and binding it’s done. We are planning a group exhibition some time soon, so I am hoping to make up a book as a novel way of showing some of my smaller pieces – and as a way for me to keep a hold of them as well – a girl only has so much wall space! Plans for this are afoot…
Not bad going for a hot day’s work in Spain. Today is even hotter so I am heading off to the pool for a cool down!